On the verge of desperation, I stumbled across a tweet thread on my timeline that one of my followers had retweeted. I was intrigued so I decided to click on the profile’s twitter account…to see the human made my day.
This soulful lady is a blogger and is carving out a name for herself by sharing her love for poetry, giving motivational advice and simply advising people around her about relationships and life in general.
I was able to chat with this amazing lady via email and here’s the full 411 on Sammy J :
1. If you were to use three adjectives to describe yourself what would they be and why?
Passionate, Jovial and a beautiful soul. These three because I am always smiling, I put in my heart in all I do and I have the best intentions, always looking out for others.
2. In summary, how would you describe your blog to new readers or strangers?
My blog is vulnerable and honest. It will let you into my world, letting you know I’m not perfect and at the same time, let you do some introspection about yourself, your relationship with others and how you view life. Through my experiences and the little advice I can give, you’ll understand you are not alone while facing some difficulties. You will feel understood and it’ll encourage you to push forward.
3. What inspired you to start blogging and Who is your target audience?
I believe I always had a thing for writing but especially poetry so that is what pushed me to start blogging, I needed to let my ideas out. Writing is kind of my sane mode, where I feel like myself. My audience will be the youths since I am one myself but it touches almost everyone and various aspects of life and societal issues.
4. How did the blog name “Sprinkle of Thoughts” come about?
The name “Sprinkle of thoughts” really just popped because when I thought of what content my blog will contain, I realized it will mostly be about me and my thoughts so I’ll be sprinkling them to the world hence the name.
5. Do your close family members and friends know about your blog? If yes, how did you let them know about it? If no, why not?
My family members and friends obviously know about my blog and before I started it I told a few and they were happy about it because already, I have been a person who loves speaking and listening to people and giving my point of view about certain things. So they felt me sharing those ideas would be a great idea. So here we are.
6. What are some of the challenges you face from blogging?
I think one of the challenges is maybe not getting enough people like I want to read my blog because the blogsphere is so wide and people have so many options. But at the end of the day, you have to keep doing you and hoping they reach to the people who need it the most.
7. Apart from blogging what are some of your interests in your day to day life?
I love music. If you catch me anywhere, I’ll always be with my earphones on and humming songs. At work and all my friends know me as someone who can’t live without music (lol). Drawing and photography are things that interest me too but I haven’t had the opportunity to go deep into them. You can say I have a thing for the arts.
8. Reading through your blog posts and stalking your social media lol, I know you are a born again Christian. Has this always been the case? What sparked in you to be born again?
About my Christian life, I have to say it has been an up and down journey but there comes a time when you can no longer give God the second place in your life. He has to be the main character.
And it really sparked when I saw how damaging I was to my very own self, when my mistakes and errors came knocking at my door…when I fell short of God’s glory and I was tired of living an unfulfilled life (2016 precisely). I just started seeking Him and today, I know I am making progress and I know He is proud of me doing so.
9. How do you come up with your blog content? Where do you get your inspiration from?
My inspiration comes mostly from my life experiences, what I go through, my relations with others and sometimes my friends inspire me. I can’t deny what’s happening in society today plays its role as to what values we have I this life and how we wish to raise our kids. So it’s mostly me, my emotions then my environment.
10. Writing aside, what are some talents you have that your blog readers don’t know about?
I don’t think my readers know I sing, dance or make some inspirational/motivational videos when I get the chance. So those are the few talents I have kept for myself
11. How do you think your friends IRL versus your blog readers would describe you?
I think my friends have to answer those themselves but let me give it a try. They’ll say I’m a selfless type of person, real, passionate, intelligent, wise, jovial, goofy (I play a lot) and always there for them when they need me. As for my readers, they’ll say I’m real, I know how to express myself, wise and I write beautifully and they love the way I put myself into my writing.
12. What are some of the quotes that motivate you when you are having a bad day?
- “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” – Philippians 4:13
- “Above all else, guard your heart for whatever you do flows from it” Proverbs 4:23
- “This too shall pass”
Then I listen to some gospel and I remind myself with some affirmative statements: I am strong, I am beautiful, I can do this, Don’t give up now etc
13.What advice would you give some readers who are going through a broken/ trapped phase of life?
If you are going through a heartbreak, remember you are still worthy of love. It don’t matter how it ended, remember what it taught you and don’t hate him/her.
- Take this single season to find yourself, love yourself and know what you deserve.
- Do not try to fill the void he/she left.
- Do not rush into another relationship without taking some time out.
- Do not settle.
- You are beautiful. You are brave and your love will come your way when you’re ready for it.
14. Tell us more about poetry, what’s your niche and what put you in the mood to draft up a poem?
Poetry…it has been something I acquired natural. My niche .. well I think I speak mostly about love, heartbreak, self development, growth, death, faith .. anything that has to do with emotions and my life experiences.
I do believe I know how to capture emotions into words and that’s poetry is all about. Letting someone feel what you feel or relate to it a very personal level.
I write at all times cuz the inspiration and topics just come but best believe that when I am feeling something strong, my poems flow easily. Because at that moment, I am feeling everything very deeply.
A huge thank you to Sammy J for agreeing to do this interview. You can see more of her on:-
Twitter – @JennyDems
Blog – Sprinkleofthoughtssite.wordpress.com
Instagram – dsamuella